PA Act 66 - Grade Level Retention and the PIAA
PA Act 66 - Grade Level Retention & the PIAA
In light of PA Act 66, the PIAA has not changed their athletic eligibility rules and have indicated that they would not likely be changing their rules.
- A student-athlete gets only six “seasons” to participate beyond the sixth grade.
- The six seasons part of the rule deals with seventh- and eighth-grade (junior high) sports.
- If an athlete played a sport in seventh and eighth grade, then the athlete obviously has only four seasons left to play in high school.
- students have 6 years of athletic eligibility once their clock starts
- students that turn 19 before July 1 are not eligibile for that year
Please let us know if you have any questions or need further clarification.