PIAA & the NIL Rules
PIAA and the NIL Rules
Name, Image and Likeness. Students may receive consideration for the use of their own name, image and likeness (NIL). Such permissible activities include:
- commercial endorsements,
- promotional activities,
- social media presence,
- product or service advertisements,
- unique digital items/assets.
NIL contracts/agreements need to come from analysis of the value an athlete brings for providing a specific service/activity, not as an incentive for enrollment decisions or membership on a team.
NOTE: No school or anyone employed by or affiliated with a member school, including booster clubs, coaches, collectives, administrators and alumni, may solicit, arrange, negotiate or pay for a student’s, other than their own child, use of their NIL and/or the provision of consideration to a student for the use of their NIL.
In engaging in NIL activities, students MAY NOT:
- make any reference to PIAA or a PIAA member school (including the school and/or team name, nicknames, terms by which a school or team is commonly referred or identified, logo)
- wear school uniforms or school-identifying apparel or items
- endorse or promote any third-party entities, goods or services during team/school activities
- wear the apparel or display the logo, insignia, or identifying mark of an NIL partner during any team/school athletic activities, unless it is part of the standard school uniform for that sport
- engage in any NIL activities involving, displaying or endorsing the following categories of products and services:
- Adult entertainment products and services;
- Alcohol products;
- Casinos and gambling, including sports betting, the lottery, and betting in connection with video games, on-line games and mobile devices;
- Tobacco and electronic smoking products and devices;
- Opioids and prescription pharmaceuticals;
- Controlled dangerous substances;
- Weapons, firearms and ammunition.
Students must notify the Principal/Athletic Director if they enter into any type of NIL contracts/agreements within 72 hours (or prior to the next contest) after entering into the agreement.
Please See NIL Informational Resource from NFHS