Volunteering in the State College Area School District
Every year, the school district encourages volunteering by our parents and guardians and we appreciate our community’s support. Pennsylvania Act 15 requires that adults (those 18 years of age or older) having direct volunteer contact with children will need background check clearances.
Most volunteer opportunities require clearances, however, some do not. If you would like to be a guest speaker in a classroom, a mystery reader or simply have lunch with your child, you don’t need clearances. Examples of volunteer activities requiring clearances include, but are not limited to: Classroom volunteers, chaperones for field trips, homeroom parents, volunteer coaches and exchange student host families.
What do I need to be approved as a volunteer?
- Submit a photo or scan of your vaccination card here. For the 2021-22 school year, all volunteers must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Read the district policies and sign the 2021-2022 Policy and Procedure Form. A new form must be signed and submitted each year.
B. New volunteers, who are not required to have clearances
If the supervisor you are working with has determined you do not need clearances, you will only need to read the district policies and sign the 2021-2022 Policy and Procedure Form. This will not apply to many people.
C. New volunteer who is required to have clearances
If the supervisor you are working with has determined that you need clearances, you will need the items listed below. All clearances must have been obtained less than 60 months (5 years) ago.
- For the 2021-22 school year, all volunteers must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Submit a photo or scan of your vaccination card here.
- 2021-2022 Policy and Procedure Form
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check
- FBI Criminal Background Check or Self-Disclosure Form (may be used in lieu of the FBI check if you have lived in PA continuously for the past 10 years)
- Mandated Reporter Training (You do not need to do submit anything for this, just complete the training via the link.)
~ Mail all documents to the Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) Supervisor before you begin volunteering. Do not bring these documents to the SCASD employee you will be volunteering with.
~ Upon submission of your clearances, you will be notified when you are cleared to volunteer, provided you listed your email address on the Volunteer Policy and Procedure form.
~ Please note that it takes 5-7 days for paperwork to be reviewed and cleared. Please plan accordingly when asked to volunteer for an event.
The VIPS office is part of Community Education and is located at the Panorama Village Administrative Center.
Documents and clearances may be mailed to:
240 Villa Crest Dr.
State College, PA 16801
Questions may be directed to the VIPS Supervisor at email@example.com.