The school district encourages volunteering by our parents and guardians, and we appreciate our community’s support. Pennsylvania Act 15 requires that adults (those 18 years of age or older) having direct volunteer contact with children will need background check clearances.
Most volunteer opportunities require clearances, however some do not. If you would like to be a guest speaker in a classroom, a mystery reader or simply have lunch with your child, you do not need clearances. Examples of volunteer activities requiring clearances include, but are not limited to: classroom volunteers, chaperones for field trips, homeroom parents, volunteer coaches and exchange student host families.
What do I need to be approved as a volunteer?
Returning volunteers from the 2023-2024 school year
If you submitted all of your clearances last school year, you will only need to:
- Read the district policies and then, sign the Policy and Procedure Form. A new form must be signed and submitted each year.
New volunteers, who are not required to have clearances
If the supervisor you are working with has determined you do not need clearances, you will only need to read the district policies and sign the Policy and Procedure Form. This will not apply to many people.
New volunteers who are required to have clearances
If the supervisor you are working with has determined that you need clearances, you will need the items listed below. All clearances must have been obtained less than 60 months (5 years) ago.
- Policy and Procedure Form
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check
- FBI Criminal Background Check or Self-Disclosure Form (may be used in lieu of the FBI check if you have lived in PA continuously for the past 10 years)
- Mandated Reporter Training (Recommended training via the link. You do not need to submit verification of completion)
- Mail all documents to the Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) Supervisor before you begin volunteering. Do not bring these documents to the SCASD employee you will be volunteering with.
- Upon submission of your clearances, you will be notified when you are cleared to volunteer, provided you listed your email address on the Volunteer Policy and Procedure form.
- Please note that it takes five (5) business days for paperwork to be reviewed and cleared. Please plan accordingly when asked to volunteer for an event.
Documents and clearances should be mailed to:
240 Villa Crest Dr.
State College, PA 16801
Questions may be directed to the VIPS Supervisor.